Yoga & Oils
Whether you do Yoga at home or you go to a class, the use of essential oils can really enhance your practice! The purpose of this blog is to share information on how Yoga and essential oils may support overall wellness for healthy individuals.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Before beginning, drink 1-2 ounces of Ningxia Red. This amazing drink, helps give energy and is an excellent supplement for all over body wellness. Try adding a drop of Lemon Vitality oil to it for added benefits & taste as well.
Ningxia Red combines the extraordinary wolfberry superfruit with pure Orange, Yuzu, Lemon, and Tangerine essential oils, along with blueberry, aronia, cherry, pomegranate, and plum juices to deliver a whole-body nutrient infusion. This powerful formula includes wolfberry, which is touted for its health-supporting benefits, while ongoing research continues to reveal exciting new properties on this ingredient. Enjoy NingXia Red daily to energize, fortify, and revitalize the body and support overall health and wellness, from head to toe. Ningxia
- Sustain energy with the combination of select wolfberries and other superfruits. Contains powerful ingredients which are involved in many antioxidant processes and may help prevent against oxidative stress.
- Balanced ingredients make NingXia Red a whole-body nutrient infusion for health and wellness support
- Delivers citrus essential oils containing d-limonene, a powerful component in citrus oils.
- Halal and Kosher certified in 750ml bottles (Halal Certified in 60 ml sachets)
- Powerful formula includes wolfberry which is touted for its health benefits
Fill a large glass water bottle with water, and add 1-2 drops of your favorite uplifting oil. A personal favorite is Lime Vitality + Peppermint Vitality. This combination tastes so good and has lots of benefits too! Staying hydrated during your practice is so important! Here is a little more info on the choice of these two oils in particular, for drinking water.
- Lime Vitality oil: Lime oil today, is best known throughout the world as a way to help support a healthy immune system. When taken internally, lime may provide antioxidant support and aid in weight management. Lime Essential Oil
- Peppermint Vitality oil: Peppermint is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for supporting normal digestion, including promoting healthy intestinal function and gastrointestinal system comfort. When inhaled it can help in curbing your desire to snack, which is helpful since yoga is best practiced on an empty stomach! Peppermint is also uplifting and may help clear the airway, helping you achieve your deepest breaths. Peppermint Essential Oil
KEEPING YOUR YOGA MAT CLEAN
It’s important to keep your yoga mat clean, using non-toxic, chemical free cleaners. You can use the Thieves Household Cleaner, Thieves Spray or make a recipe of your own to use. Try the following oils to spray on your mat before and after your session:
- Lavender: To help stay calm and relaxed during the session. Lavender Essential Oil
- Tea Tree: To clean the mat of any germs. Tea Tree Essential Oil
*Enjoy the smell of this combo when surrendered into Child’s Pose.
To make your own spray you will need:
- 4 oz spray bottle
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Witch Hazel
- 3-4 drops Lavender
- 3-4 drops Tea Tree Oil
- Fill remaining with distilled or bottled water.
You can vary what oils you use in the spray to your liking, and the amount of drops as well. Spray your mat again at the end of class to disinfect.
SET THE MOOD FOR YOGA
Set the mood for yoga, either at home or bring your diffuser to class if the instructor allows it! Fill your diffuser with something that calms and grounds you. If you are not allowed to bring a diffuser into class, consider using a lava bracelet, and put your oils on that – to breathe in throughout the class.
Some great suggestions are:
- Stress Away
Often we need to check in with ourselves to see what we are seeking before our practice. Do we need guidance? Or grounding? Set an intention for your practice. I mix up what I use in my diffuser depending on my intentions – you honestly can’t go wrong with any of these suggestions, whatever your mood may be.
- For an energizing early morning or mid-afternoon practice: Try Grapefruit, Lime, and Patchouli. This blend is emotionally and physically uplifting and will help get you going while helping to balance your emotions.
- If you are expecting and practicing prenatal yoga, or have a new baby: Try diffusing Peace & Calming or Gentle Baby for a calming or soothing aroma.
- For a hot yoga (Bikram) or power yoga session: Try Valor and Lime for an energizing and detoxifying aroma.
- If you are winding down your day with a bedtime practice: Try diffusing Lavender and Cedarwood or Tranquil.
- For seasonal practices, try one of these:
- Christmas Spirit or Frankincense and Myrrh (Christmas or worship playlist)
- Autumn: Nutmeg and Cinnamon
- Winter: Balsam Fir and Wintergreen
- Spring: Geranium with a Citrus Oil, such as Lemon. Or combine the uplifting aroma of your favorite citrus oil with the cooling and energizing scent of Peppermint or Spearmint.
Apply Grounding, Harmony or Magnify Your Purpose to the bottoms of the feet. 1 drop to the base of each foot, rub feet together and hold for a minute. Also try applying Grounding to the base of the skull, one drop.
- Grounding Oil: A relaxing and balancing blend of essential oils that provides a stabilizing influence. Emotional chaos can lead to poor decisions, Grounding helps you cope with reality in a positive manner. Contains White Fir, Spruce, Ylang Ylang, Pine, Cedarwood, Angelica and Juniper.
- Valor Oil: You can also apply Valor to the bottoms of the feet to help promote balance and alignment, and refresh your energy at a cellular level.
Frankincense (Boswellia carterii) includes the naturally occurring constituent boswellic acid, and has a woodsy, warm, balsamic aroma. Diffuse or apply a drop of Frankincense to your third eye Chakra (6th Chakra at the brow, above the base of the nose). Frankincense oil can help you get in touch with your spirit and may elevate your meditative experience. It is mentioned over 52 times in the Bible, when considering the fact that the Hebrew word for incense was usually referring to Frankincense. It has been used in religious ceremonies for centuries.
Breathe Again, RC, Peppermint and Spearmint support the respiratory system during Yoga. Apply Breathe Again roll-on to your chest and neck, rub in and inhale the scent from your hands, take 2-3 deep breaths. If you do not have the roller, you can use Peppermint or Spearmint. This will help with the deep Ujjayi breathing.
Breathing in yoga is vital. Your breath will help get you through the more difficult postures. If you feel congested, apply Breathe Again or RC along your sinuses, and the bridge of your nose as well. As you move through each pose, occasionally inhale the oils from the palms of your hands.
YOGA & CHAKRAS
You may wonder what chakras are. Studied for thousands of years, the Chakra system originated in India between 1500 and 500 B.C. The word chakra means “wheel” in Sanskrit in the oldest writings, the Vedas. It is spelled “cakra” but pronounced “chakra.” According to Hindu tradition, the chakras are wheels of light or energy centers running along the spine up to the top of the head. Though the first studies of chakras were Hindu in nature, the principles can be applied to Christianity or other religious practices as well. The chakra system, made up of seven main chakra points, is connected to our body not just on a physical level, but on an emotional, spiritual and mental one as well. When one of these chakras becomes blocked, there is an imbalance of energy that can result in poor health. There are a lot of ways to counter the imbalance that can occur in our bodies’ chakras and allow the energy to flow properly. This includes massage, reflection, meditation, acupuncture, aromatherapy and Yoga. Another often overlooked therapy to enhance the body’s chakra state is the use of essential oils.
Applying oils to your Chakras:
- Root Chakra: The root area represents our foundation in life. Staying grounded in present; releasing anger & other deep-seated emotions. If you are feeling scattered or imbalanced try applying Cedarwood, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Ginger, Cypress, Valor, Grounding or Abundance to the base of your spine/coccyx or bottom of the feet.
- Sacral Chakra: The sacral point holds the seat of our emotions. It is the center of sexuality, emotion and creativity. If you feel burdened or weighed down emotionally try applying Ylang Ylang, Clary Sage, Rose, Rosemary, Patchouli, Jasmine, Harmony, Inner Child, Forgiveness or Peace & Calming to your lower abdomen, slightly below navel.
- Solar Plexus Chakra: The solar plexus region relates to our self image. It is the source of personal power, confidence and self – worth. If you lack self confidence or self esteem apply Lemon, Rosemary, Peppermint, Juniper, Basil, Lavender, Bergamot, Geranium, Ginger, Lemongrass, Harmony, Sacred Mountain, Acceptance or Release. The solar plexus is also an area for energy. If you feel particularly tired or run down, add these oils to your upper abdomen; between navel and rib cage for a pick me up!
- Heart Chakra: The heart locale symbolizes your ability to love and be loved. It helps open the ability to give/receive love and the ability to heal from sadness. Apply Lavender, Bergamot Rose, Geranium, Jasmine, Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang, Eucalyptus, Acceptance, Humility or Joy over your heart to feel soothed and softened.
- Throat Chakra: The throat area represents your ability to communicate and trust your own intuition. It is the center for communication, thoughts and emotions. Try applying Roman Chamomile, Basil, Spearmint, Lemon, Tea Tree, Lavender, Patchouli, Hyssop, Hope, Valor, Envision, or Believe to your throat to bolster these aspects of your life.
- Third Eye Chakra: The third eye relates to our wisdom, imagination and ability to make decisions. It helps purify negative thoughts and tendencies; stimulate intuitive thinking. Try Frankincense, Lavender, Rosemary, Grapefruit, Clary Sage, Patchouli, Helichrysum, White Angelica, Awaken, Dream Catcher, or Transformation to assist mental clarity apply between the eyebrows.
- Crown Chakra: The crown is located on the very top of your head. This is an excellent point to apply essential oils for connecting with God. It is the center of spirituality and enlightenment. Apply Frankincense, Jasmine, Rose, Myrrh, Lavender, Three Wise Men, Gathering or Inspiration to aid in your spiritual connection and prayers.
AFTER YOUR SESSION
After your session is over, you may want to support your muscular system with Deep Relief, PanAway, Copaiba, Lemongrass, Aroma Siez or any other favorite soothing oils. Try soaking in a hot bath using a cup of Epsom Salts with 3-5 drops of oil to relax and soothe the muscles. Mix the oils with Epsom Salts prior to putting into bath, so that the oil isn’t just floating on the surface of the water.
For extra muscle support, apply 1-2 drops diluted Panaway on location. Or use the ready to go roll-on, Deep relief. Another great blend for muscles is Peppermint, Aroma Siez and Copaiba diluted with a carrier. Apply as often as needed. Young Living also carries Cool Azul Pain Relief Cream, which would be a great addition to a post-Yoga routine.
For more information on these essential oils visit Premium Starter Kit